2014년 5월 31일 토요일

Danny Marlin : Round Head Knife 120

Danny Marlin's facebook : 

https://www.facebook.com/danny.marlin.52 



120 - (Left) stag handle, 122 - (Right) wood handle




These are 120 and 122 leather knife from Danny Marlin in Texas, United States.

I heard of Mr. Marlin's knives in 2012.

I wanted to buy one but I could not find it anywhere.

This year, 2014, I contacted him directly and after a few months, I finally got hold of his knife.

I wanted a best seller among his leather knives and he recommended me a 120.

I agreed, and I ordered 122 also.

He makes leather knife from old saw blades. 

He says it is hard to come by nowadays.

I wanted to get his knives before the saw blades go extinct.

I talked to him on the phone many times and he is such a good person to talk to.

He kindly answered all of my questions regarding the knives when I ordered.

I highly recommend his knives.


Danny Marlin, Texas, US


(Picture from Steel Beauty by Shirley Dukes photos by Riley Studio, Comanche County Living, Fall 2013)



Danny Marlin started to making knife in 1990, as a simple hobby.

someone who looked at his knife wanted to buy it.

and that's how it all began.

he said "it was a hobby that went out of control"


(Picture from Steel Beauty by Shirley Dukes photos by Riley Studio, Comanche County Living, Fall 2013)



He shapes the blade and puts handle with stag or wood for your option.

I like the stag handle because they are one of a kind.

wood is called Mesquite wood which grows in Texas.

Mesquite wood was considered a pest but now it is used 

for floors, furniture and other things because of its beauty

and toughness which makes great for the knife handle.

I am sure it will last lifetime.


the fit and finish is great.

Stag handle comes highly polished and wood is finished with tung oil.

He does amazing job polishing the blade and handle.

The blade is unknown but they are carbon steel.

Carbon steels are easier to rust than stainless steel. 

but for Marlin's knife, It comes highly polished so that it

could resist rust and also looks pretty.

What I really like about this blade steel is that It is hard 

enough to hold an edge long but also It is easy to maintain 

the scary sharp edge with leather strop. 



NOTE : 
There are some leather tool makers who copies 122 and other Mr.Marlin's knife design. 

They are made with cheap stainless steel and they are not heat treated properly. 


I will not mention which company it is but  please don't be confused with his knife.


Always Check for his Logo.   


Buy the real stuff.


It is worth more than what you pay for.





120 - Round Head knife with Stag Handle (optional : additional cost)














Here is a link to a video review for the 120 round knife













댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기